Smell the Roses by jane iredale
As you probably know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, which not only helps build awareness about this terrible disease, it also brings a flurry of pink products, specially formulated to help the cause.
One of my favorites is Jane Iredale’s Smell the Roses. This hydrating facial spritz launched in September, and 100% of the profits (not just proceeds) from the sale of Smell the Roses will be donated to Living Beyond Breast Cancer, a national education and support organization whose mission is to connect people with trusted breast cancer information and a community of support.
I actually got my hands on a sample early this summer and it’s been a lovely, sweet smelling way to spritz on a little and help beat the heat. Just one little spray moisturizes and cleanses the skin, calms irritation and reduces redness, not to mention it smells like heaven!
Another great pink for the cure product to look for is Sparkling ICE, the now ubiquitous flavored, zero-calorie sparkling mountain spring water is promoting the message “Imagine a World Without Breast Cancer” on its pink grapefruit flavor bottles. In conjunction with this, the company has committed to donating a minimum of $25,000 to research facilities nationwide to help find a cure, in addition to aiding local affiliates and communities with more than $100,000 in donations annually.
They’ve even developed a “Sip Pink for the Cure” Cocktail using the pink grapefruit Sparkling ICE flavor. Here’s the recipe:
Sparkling ICE Sip Pink for the Cure Cocktail
Sip Pink for the Cure Cocktail, courtesy Sparkling ICE
•3 oz. Grapefruit Sparkling ICE
•1 ½ oz. vodka
•1 oz. lime juice
•Sliced fresh jalapeño
•Chili salt for rim of glass (Kosher salt mixed with chili powder)
1. Use a lime wedge to rub the entire rim of a chilled martini glass, and dip into chili salt mixture.
2. Combine vodka and jalapeno slices with ice in a shaker.
3. Strain and pour into the chilled martini glass.
4. Top with Grapefruit Sparkling ICE.
5. Garnish with a few Jalapeno slices.
One of three chairs being auctioned to support breast cancer research. Courtesy Regency Shop.
While you’re sipping that cocktail, you could also be sitting pretty in a unique, one-of-a-kind stylish lounge chair that Regency Shop is auctioning off to support breast cancer research. For more information, click here.
Some additional promotions this month include:
• FragranceNet.com will donate 15% of the proceeds to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation each time you purchase Vera Wang Truly Pink, Lacoste Love of Pink, Gap So Pink and Lacoste Joy of Pink.
• G.M. Collin skincare donates $2 of each sold product of Daily Ceramide Comfort Capsules to Pink Ribbons Inc.
• For the 8th consecutive year, DECLÉOR will donate (10%) of net proceeds of the Sensorial Travel Collections sold during the month of October to Cancer and Careers, a program of CEW Foundation. Each exclusive skincare program includes five full and travel-sized DECLÉOR products, housed in a large zippered travel pouch, that provide unique benefits targeted to a specific skin-type.
Suki Ultra Protect Body Balm, courtesy photo
• The suki® ultra-protect™ body balm, a great moisturizing product, will donate 100% of proceeds from this month’s sales of this product will benefit Breast Cancer Action (www.bcaction.org), an organization whose mission is to achieve health justice for all women at risk of and living with breast cancer.
Originally published in Santa Barbara Seasons on October 9, 2014.