Kids Helping Kids is an entirely student-run nonprofit organization lead by the students in the Advanced Placement Economics classes at San Marcos High School. The group works to help children in need both locally and globally and has raised an amazing $2.5 million to date.
The annual benefit concert looks back on the legacy built by the students of San Marcos and the support of our community, bringing back two of the past favorite performers, Andy Grammer (Friday, Jan. 12 at 7 p.m.) and NeedtoBreathe (Saturday, Jan. 13 at 7 p.m.).
Past artists who have performed at Kids Helping Kids benefit concerts include:
- Toad the Wet Sprocket and Tyrone Wells (2009),
- Five for Fighting (2010),
- Mat Kearney and Tyrone Wells (2011),
- Sara Bareilles and Tyrone Wells (2012),
- Switchfoot and Brad Corrigan from Dispatch (2013),
- Andy Grammer and Tim Lopez from Plain White T’s (2014),
- Ingrid Michaelson and Jon McLaughlin (2015),
- NeedtoBreathe and Johnnyswim (2016),
- and Gavin DeGraw and Parachute (2017).
In addition to the local chapter, the Kids Helping Kids model to is now in place at two other high schools in Sacramento and Dana Hills, California.
Originally published in Santa Barbara Seasons on January 6, 2018.