Four Seasons hotels and resorts of Santa Barbara, Baltimore, Palo Alto at Silicon Valley, Jackson Hole, Scottsdale and Austin recently joined forces to bring a unique six-course tasting menu with wine pairings to the historic James Beard House in New York City. This honor is given to just 250 restaurants per year, which makes it all the more special that guests will have the opportunity to taste the James Beard House dinner here in Santa Barbara.
Lucky diners begin their evening with a selection of hors d’oeuvres, including seared duck breast with mole sauce and stone fruit chutney, and pistachio-crusted goat cheese-grape lollipops. This special dinner will feature six courses: one course designed by each chef with expert pairings provided by Beverage Director Mark Sayre of Four Seasons Hotel Austin.
The menu includes:
- Hors d’Oeuvre:
- House-Cured Lonzino with Black Truffles, Arugula, Meyer Lemons, and Parmigiano
- Foie Gras–Black Pepper Macarons with Blackberry Jelly
- Watermelon Proscuitto with Achadinha Farms Aged Goat Cheese, Candied Walnuts, and Vincotto
- Seared Maple Leaf Farms Duck Breast with Mole Sauce and Stone Fruit
- Pistachio-Crusted Goat Cheese–Grape Lollipops
- SOTER MINERAL SPRINGS RANCH BRUT ROSÉ 2010
- Uni with Sweet Corn, Tortilla–Lime Salt, Abalone, Finger Limes, and Avocado
- STOLPMAN VINEYARDS L’AVION ROUSSANNE 2012
- Cedar River Farms Beef Carpaccio with Seven-Minute Farm Egg and Caviar
- CHÂTEAU STE. ANNE BANDOL ROSÉ 2011
- Crispy Chesapeake Rockfish with Blue Crab Dumplings and Crab Consommé
- RUDI PICHLER GRÜNER VELTLINER FEDERSPIEL 2012
- Pasta all’Amatriciana with House-Cured Guanciale, Pelati Tomato Sauce, and Pecorino Fiore Sardo
- SCARPETTA BARBERA DEL MONFERATTO 2012
- Dry-Aged Buffalo Rib-Eye with Sarsaparilla Short Rib, Mushroom–Truffle Grits, Kale, Onion Bark, and Huckleberries
- WATERS WINERY FORGOTTEN HILLS SYRAH 2012
- Panna Cotta with Melon, Piment d’Espelette, and Cilantro
- DR. HERMANN ERDENER TREPPCHEN RIESLING AUSLESE 2008
Participating in this James Beard Dinner are:
- Alessandro Cartumini, Executive Chef at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
- Oliver Beckert, Executive Chef at Four Seasons Hotel Baltimore
- Dyan Ng, Pastry Chef at Four Seasons Hotel Baltimore
- Marco Fossati, Executive Chef at Four Seasons Hotel Silicon Valley at East Palo Alto
- Michael Goralski, Executive Chef at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
- Mel Mecinas, Executive Chef at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
- Mark Sayre, Beverage Director at Four Seasons Hotel Austin
James Beard House Tasting Menu: Five Four Seasons Chefs, Two Nights in Santa Barbara takes place on Friday, October 24 and Saturday, October 25 at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara, 1260 Channel Dr. The cost of the dinner is $98++ per person, or $140++ including wine pairings. For reservations, call 805/565-8237 or reserve online.
Originally published in Santa Barbara Seasons on October 19, 2014.